Skip to main content

Why

Municipal Terminal No. 4, Portland, Oregon

This is an scan of one of the post cards in my collection. A friend tells me that there is a real copy at the OHS, so that is nice. I will have to take a look at it soon. It is a very interesting image, I think. I worked at this place for about 25 years, until it closed. We all hoped it would re-open, but it never did. I will go into detail about this place in some later post.

Getting back to "why" by which I mean, "why I bother to blog, etc. about Portland waterfront history, this picture is worth the proverbial 1000 words. I spent 33 plus years on this waterfront, always interested in where things came from, and why they were done the way they were. This place is gone, bulldozed, up for lease. There was a time it was Portland's pride and joy, the most modern grain facility in the world. I have about 3000 stories I could tell about the place, and maybe 50 to 100 of them are actually interesting. I just had an article published in the Union Pacific railroad history magazine, Streamliner, about some of the things I used to do at the above location, so some people are even interested in these stories. Besides that I have photographs. This wasn't even my favorite place to work, it took second prize to Globe, or O' Dock, or whatever name you learned to call it by.


I have been neglecting this blog and my Portland waterfront history website because of an addiction to research, and the fact that I have to work to make money to stay afloat. In the near future my research will start showing up on the Internet, or in articles.

More very soon, ensha'allah, and a blessed Good Friday to all my Western rite friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Word on Shanghai Tunnels - Including 14 reasons why the stories are bogus

I have never been on a tour of Portland's so-called "shanghai tunnels," so I am unable to comment on this attraction, except that I have heard that the tour is quite entertaining. Neither have I been to the Pirates of the Caribbean in Disneyland,  the Magic Carpets of Aladdin, or the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, for that matter. The closest I have come to this sort of tourist entertainment was while visiting the ancient city of York I took my family on the "York Ghost Walk." This tour is a bit of innocent fun with some old ghost stories mixed in with distorted history—just for the tourists.  It may be true that I have no experience with the tourist tours of these basements in the northwest regions of downtown, but I do know a bit about them. There is a great deal of documentation in the newspapers, and in old court records. They were built by Chinese back in the days when Chinatown was the center of gang activity related to the different tongs...

The Steel Bridge and the Railroad

I don’t know if anyone has noticed this, but the Steel Bridge on old postcards is often designated as being owned by any one of three different companies. Most often you will see the words “O.W.R. & N. Co. Bridge across the Willamette,” or something to that effect. Other times the card might read, “O. R. R. & N. Co. bridge, Portland, Oregon.” Then, on occasion, a card might say, “Union Pacific bridge, Portland, Oregon.” This was confusing to me at one time, until I read a little something on the history of the Union Pacific lines in the west, then I became even more confused. The lines were in and out of receivership, leased, sold, given different, but very similar names, and called different names by different levels of railroad hierarchy. When the first Steel Bridge was built in 1888 the company behind the construction was the Oregon Railway & Navigation Company (O. R. & N. Co.), an old and powerful entity that had evolved from the Oregon Steam Navigation Company...

The Turks in California Part 1

Where it all took place, the little dot to the left is the first house of Jackson In the early evening of twilight of a dank November in 1869 the activity along the "city's front" consisted of the usual howling drunks and raucous laughter. It was a region that had been San Francisco's no-man's land for decades. Not long before it had worn the name "Sydney Town" in honor of the Irish criminals drawn to California from Australia at the news of gold. Instead of "digging in the harmless earth" themselves, these boys had found it easier, and more profitable, to relieve the heavy burden of gold from those miners who wandered the streets of the city in search of pleasure. "Sydney ducks," was the derisive name the Americans gave them, but they set about beating the Americans at their own game. Democracy was made for such as they. It was simple enough to elect their own sheriffs and judges by stuffing ballot boxes and using threats and vio...