Skip to main content

Predicting the Future & Tunnels


Not a cover idea, merely a visual juxtaposition. The poor guy being shanghaied is Charlie Chaplin.


The book I have been writing to fulfill my obligation with History Press is now in its final stages. The title that has been given the impremater is "Portland's Lost Waterfront, Tall Ships, Steam Mills, and Sailor's Boardinghouses."  My first draft was so heavily overwritten that in order to come close to my 40,000 word maximum I had to delete two entire chapters and reams of relatively unknown details that will have to land somewhere. So unless I write another, thicker book, this blog will start to get more interesting.

I am also delighted to announce that the upcoming book will contain about 65 images, many of which will be photographs from deep within the vault of Thomas Robinson's Historic Photo Archive. These will not be the photos one always sees in books on Portland's history, but long forgotten photographs, some  that have not seen the light of day for decades, and have never graced the pages of a book.

There will be several other things rescued from the mists of obscurity that will appear in this book. One example is the old question that was extremely important to Astorians until WWI, "When will Astoria become the San Francisco of the Pacific Northwest?" We all know now that the answer is, "Probably never." but my book examines the reasons why tiny village up an oftentimes shallow river, 113 miles from the ocean became the port city of Oregon when a large and commodious harbor at the mouth of the Columbia was pushed into the background.

The images are due August 8th, the manuscript is due the month following. At some point in the near future you will begin to see the overflow of images and ideas that did not fit the template but are in and of themselves fascinating. (Ensha'allah, of course.)

Tunnels?

There still seem to be a lot of folks in Portland who watched the TV show, Leverage, and are fascinated with "shanghai tunnels." There is much that can be said against the notion, and virtually nothing for it, but here is a thought that just came to me: Ocean-going vessels of the "grain fleet" could not make it to Portland year round until about 1900, after extensive dredging. The harbor info in port manuals and even the Portland City Directory stated that the river was usually too low in August and September (and sometimes October), months when grain was "lightered" to Astoria. The other months, when the water was high, did they make the poor shanghaied fellows hold their breath and swim under water? Of course the only tunnels that made it to the river were drains for sewers and channels for underground streams. The other tunnels, the ones in the "north end" (AKA Whitechapel), were used by the Chinese of the area for reasons I will mention in my book.

Or you can listen to my rant on an upcoming Kick Ass Portland History podcast.

Artist's conception of a Portlander being shanghaied by a sailor's boarding-house rat.


I appreciate all of your emails, maybe even especially the critical ones, so please do not hesitate to comment or email me at the associated address.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Word on Shanghai Tunnels - Including 14 reasons why the stories are bogus

I have never been on a tour of Portland's so-called "shanghai tunnels," so I am unable to comment on this attraction, except that I have heard that the tour is quite entertaining. Neither have I been to the Pirates of the Caribbean in Disneyland,  the Magic Carpets of Aladdin, or the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, for that matter. The closest I have come to this sort of tourist entertainment was while visiting the ancient city of York I took my family on the "York Ghost Walk." This tour is a bit of innocent fun with some old ghost stories mixed in with distorted history—just for the tourists.  It may be true that I have no experience with the tourist tours of these basements in the northwest regions of downtown, but I do know a bit about them. There is a great deal of documentation in the newspapers, and in old court records. They were built by Chinese back in the days when Chinatown was the center of gang activity related to the different tongs...

The Steel Bridge and the Railroad

I don’t know if anyone has noticed this, but the Steel Bridge on old postcards is often designated as being owned by any one of three different companies. Most often you will see the words “O.W.R. & N. Co. Bridge across the Willamette,” or something to that effect. Other times the card might read, “O. R. R. & N. Co. bridge, Portland, Oregon.” Then, on occasion, a card might say, “Union Pacific bridge, Portland, Oregon.” This was confusing to me at one time, until I read a little something on the history of the Union Pacific lines in the west, then I became even more confused. The lines were in and out of receivership, leased, sold, given different, but very similar names, and called different names by different levels of railroad hierarchy. When the first Steel Bridge was built in 1888 the company behind the construction was the Oregon Railway & Navigation Company (O. R. & N. Co.), an old and powerful entity that had evolved from the Oregon Steam Navigation Company...

The Turks in California Part 1

Where it all took place, the little dot to the left is the first house of Jackson In the early evening of twilight of a dank November in 1869 the activity along the "city's front" consisted of the usual howling drunks and raucous laughter. It was a region that had been San Francisco's no-man's land for decades. Not long before it had worn the name "Sydney Town" in honor of the Irish criminals drawn to California from Australia at the news of gold. Instead of "digging in the harmless earth" themselves, these boys had found it easier, and more profitable, to relieve the heavy burden of gold from those miners who wandered the streets of the city in search of pleasure. "Sydney ducks," was the derisive name the Americans gave them, but they set about beating the Americans at their own game. Democracy was made for such as they. It was simple enough to elect their own sheriffs and judges by stuffing ballot boxes and using threats and vio...